- Woodland Management Workshop (Part 1)
March 8, 2019
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
A two part workshop designed to inform current and or aspiring land owners on how to manage woodlands sustainably for the benefit of wildlife and how to add value to woodlands and the materials produced. Part 1 (March 8th) will focus more on the theoretical considerations of managing woodland sustainably, whilst part two (March 9th) will incorporate practical demonstration. Although both parts of the workshop are designed together, they are equally designed to run as independent events, whereby those interested can attend one out of the two events and still benefit from the experience.
Topics covered on part 1 of the workshop
- Soil and habitat types,
- Reading the landscape- historical woodland ecology with John Bingham.
- Planting – preparing the ground, seed mix and management.
- Sustainable woodland management – managing a mature woodland to maximise biodiversity and income.
- Ancient and Veteran Trees.
- Deer and Squirrel management.
- Acquiring land/grants/permissions.
- Woodland walk – a walk around Guild of St George woodland to see the different stages of management.
Part 2 of the workshop will take place on the 9th March, Information can be found on our website https://wyreclt.org.uk/come-on-a-course/
Venue: Uncllys Farm